Contact Information

For advice on completing and submitting applications you should contact the relevant source of advice for each type of application.

1. Research Ethics Committee (REC)

For advice on the REC application process you should go to our page in IRAS Help or contact your local/chosen REC for further guidance. Contact details for all RECs in the UK are available in the 
REC Directory.

If you cannot obtain the answer to your question you can contact the HRA queries line for assistance (

2. NHS management permission ("R&D approval")

From 31 March 2016 all applications to conduct research in the NHS in England came under 
HRA Approval. On 16 April 2018, HRA Approval became HRA and Health and Care Research Wales (HCRW) Approval ('HRA and HCRW Approval') and now applies to all project-based research taking place in the NHS in England and Wales. You can refer to IRAS guidance for HRA and HCRW Approval for further information.

Northern Ireland:
For further guidance on seeking HSC R&D Permission for participating HSC organisations in Northern Ireland refer to the 
HSC website.

For all enquiries relating to the multicentre R&D review in Scotland through NHS Research Scotland (NRS), you can contact the Coordinating Unit (
gram.nrspcc@nhs.scot). Further information is available from the NHS Research Scotland Permissions Coordinating Centre (NRS Permission CC) website.

For all enquiries related to single-centre research in Scotland you should contact the local R&D office. For further guidance on seeking NHS R&D Permission in Scotland refer to the NHS Research Scotland website.

On 16 April 2018, HRA Approval became HRA and Health and Care Research Wales (HCRW) Approval ('HRA and HCRW Approval') and now applies to all project-based research taking place in the NHS in England and Wales. For information on how to prepare and submit an application for HRA and HCRW Approval refer to the 
IRAS Help page.

You can also find information relating to site setup and local processes for the NHS in Wales on the HCRW website. If after this you still require support and your query relates to sites in Wales, you can email the HCRW team (HCRW.approvals@wales.nhs.uk)

For all other enquiries about applying to conduct research in NHS/HSC organisations anywhere in the UK, you should contact your local NHS/HSC R&D office. Contact details and further information are available on the 
NHS R&D Forum website.

3. Gene Therapy Advisory Committee (GTAC) applications

For advice on all gene therapy applications, you should refer to the Gene Therapy Advisory Committee webpage.

4. Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG) applications

The Health Research Authority (HRA) is responsible for the review function under Section 251 of the NHS Act 2006. The HRA has established the Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG) to review applications and provide advice to the HRA in respect of this function. If you need help you should refer to IRAS guidance on applying to CAG.

To contact the CAG regarding the content of your CAG application you can contact them by email (
cag@hra.nhs.uk). If you’re experiencing technical issues or need general assistance with using IRAS you should contact the Technical Helpdesk or IRAS Queries (contact details below).

5. Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) Medicines

For applications for authorisation of clinical trials of investigational medicinal products you should refer to the guidance on the MHRA website.

Further advice on particular submissions may be sought from the Clinical Trials Unit at MHRA by emailing clintrialhelpline@mhra.gov.uk

6. Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) Devices Division

For advice on the regulation of medical devices in the UK and for applications for Notice of No Objection in the case of clinical investigations of medical devices conducted by manufacturers, you can contact the MHRA Devices Division. Contact details and further guidance are available on the MHRA website.

7. Administration of Radioactive Substances Advisory Committee (ARSAC)

ARSAC applications are required where research involves the administration of radioactive substances. You can view the GOV.UK ARSAC webpage for further information on ARSAC. You can also contact the ARSAC Support Unit by email (
arsac@ukhsa.gov.uk) or by telephone (01235 825006 or 01235 825007).

8. HM Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS)

For advice on the research application process within HMPPS see the GOV.UK page for research at HMPPS. For further guidance and assistance you can contact the National Research Coordinator by email (National.Research@justice.gov.uk).

9. Health Research Authority (HRA)

For guidance on applying for HRA and HCRW Approval, you can go to the IRAS Help page and/or the HRA website. If your question is not answered by this guidance, you can email the HRA Queries Line (queries@hra.nhs.uk) 

For general queries on functionality and to provide feedback on IRAS you can email the IRAS queries line (

Technical support

If you require help with the technical aspects of using IRAS, you should contact the IRAS Technical Helpdesk on 0207 043 0734 or email them at 
helpdesk@myresearchproject.org.uk. The IT Help Desk operates (9am to 5pm excluding holidays and weekends).

Page last updated: 03 April 2024


IRAS Integrated Research Application System, version 6.3.6, 09/01/2024, IRAS Dataset version 3.5.
The Health Research Authority (HRA) acknowledges the Integrated Research Application System (IRAS) partners in developing IRAS content. © Health Research Authority 2024.
Copyright and other intellectual property rights in the content of the Integrated Research Application System (IRAS) belong to the HRA and all rights are reserved. Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy. APP-N